Sunday, October 28, 2012

The First Drops

Well I was outside with the dogs ..getting them one more vigorous playtime before the storm hits.  As I sat there watching them play tug of war with a fleece rope, I felt a spattering of water on my arm...  Just a little and probably not the first to have fallen but the first I noticed.  Given the size of the monster baring down upon us its an inconsequential amount the first drops of many many to come.

But there sitting on the back steps with gusts of wind blowing my hair .. I wonder to myself ...Have I done everything I can do to get ready?

I've done all the laundry, the dishes, cleaned everything off the floor in the basement and cleared a path to the sink so I can dump the shop vac.  I've moved the dehumidifiers up onto a counter top so they stay high and dry.  I've fill the camping jugs with water, and filled many many freezer bags with more water.  If the power goes out it will preserve the food a little longer and if necessary give us more water.

I've cleaned up and tied down everything in the back yard.  Moved our little car to higher ground and put our truck at the highest point of our driveway facing forward so that if we have to drive through the flooded street we don't have to back up first.  The first aid kit has been checked and everything that can be charged has been charged including some solar lanterns  which will give us 8 hours of light without killing any batteries.

If I'm lucky the storm drains will stay clear and will drain as they are suppose to but I don't think I'll have that kind of luck.  Since its Fall all those leaves are just waiting to fall into the road and get washed right into the drain.  I got a feeling it's going to be a long night tonight and an even longer day tomorrow.

No comments:

Google