Monday, October 15, 2012

Multi-Use Monday

Hello All  

It is in the nature of all cheapskates, frugalista, penny pincher, close-fisted misers, and thrifty people of the world know that one of the best ways to save money .. (and the environmentalists who want to save the world) is to find a way to use what you have to solve your many needs.  Dont run out and buying a single use item which wastes money, clutters up your life, and uses up our ever shrinking resources! Instead lets find items that has many uses. Just close your wallet and get creative.  Lets get started shall we...

I'm going to post a Monday Top 10 List of everyday an everyday item used in different ways.  Now many of these items may have lots more then 10 ways to be reused but I'm just going with ten ways I use them to keep it short useful and easy to remember.

Lets start with an Item found in everyone's kitchen ...Good Old Fashion Salt.  Its not just good for seasoning your food it has many other uses.
Here are some ways I use Salt around the house:

1. Soak Your Feet:
         After a long day on my feet nothing feels better then a nice foot soak.  If you have a foot bath then go ahead and use it I just use my bath tub ...It makes clean up easier.  Just take 1/4 cup Salt and 1/4 cup Baking soda and fill the bottom of the tub with very warm water.  Mix well and Soak for 15 minutes.  have your favorite read available to pass the time.  When done just dry off and drain the tub.

2.  Cheap Air Freshener:
      I love this one.  I can't stand the chemical smell of commercial air freshers, they give me a headache.  So I use this idea instead.  I got it from a friend years ago.  Take an Orange and cut it in half, scoop out the guts and give them to the kids for breakfast.  Fill the peel with salt and place it in the room you want freshened.

3.  Chill Wine Quickly:
      When the hubby calls and says chill a bottle of wine I just stick the bottle in a bucket of ice and sprinkle on a half a cup of salt.  Add a little water and let set for 10 - 15 min.  Just like in an ice cream maker the salt helps keep the ice extra cold and speeds up the chilling process.

4.  Put out Grease Fires:
     I always keep the salt close to the stove so if I get a grease flare up I can smother it with salt.

5. Clean up Oven Spills:
  If your food bubbling food overflows onto the floor of the oven just sprinkle some salt on top of it.  When it cools you should be able to wipe it right up.   

6.  Sooth a Sore Throat:  

Dissolve salt in water and gargle to ease your throat pain.


7.  Scouring Away Grime: 
     Salt makes an excellent scouring powder and helps with deodorizing as well.   I use to use it on our bath tub when I had to put the turtle in there to clean the tank so I wouldn't have to worry about harmful chemicals that would make Rex ill.

8.  Clean Sink Drains:
Pour salt mixed with hot water down the kitchen sink regularly to deodorize and keep grease from building up.

9.  Better Peaks From Your Egg Whites:
Add a tiny pinch of salt when beating egg whites or whipping cream for quicker, higher peaks.

10.  Relieve Stings, Bites, and Poison Ivy:
Stung by a bee? Immediately wet the sting and cover with salt. It will lessen the pain and reduce the swelling. Of course, if you are allergic to bee stings, you should get immediate medical attention.
For relief from the itching of mosquito and chigger bites, soak the area in salt water.
When poison ivy erupts, relieve the itching by soaking in hot salt water.



No comments:

Google