Time to Schedule a Furnace Inspection.
The last thing you want is for you source of heat to break down and lets face it you know it's going to happen on the coldest day of the year. Murphy said so.
1. Call an HVAC professional to inspect your furnace and clean ducts.
2. Stock up on furnace filters and change them monthly. This will help keep the air flowing smoothly and your furnace will not have to work so hard.
3. Consider switching out your thermostat for a programmable thermostat. You can set it to warm the house when you need it warm. (just before you wake up or get home) and set it at a cooler temperature when you don't need it. (bed time or while at work) This will save you some cash and help use less resources.
3. If your home is heated by a hot-water radiator, bleed the valves by opening them slightly and when water appears, close them.
4. Remove all flammable material from the area surrounding your furnace.