Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Home Cold Remedies

I know I promised these last week and I also missed a Renovate Friday. I still haven't worked all the kinks out of the schedules to allow me to get back online like I use to do. Between the kids early morning and after school activities and my constantly changing job schedule I can't seem to find time to get here. Which really stinks because I'm missing out on reading all my favorites blogs!





Ok now for a couple of wonderful remedies to help with a sore throat. These remedies are designed to help lower the amount of drugs you need by soothing the symptoms of the cold. They are not a cure and as always you should consult a doctor about your symptoms to make sure it's nothing serious!





My favorite is a cup of hot tea mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon and 1 tablespoon honey. The heat from the tea helps soothe the achy feeling that a sore throat gives you. The lemon has antiseptic properties to help heal your throat and the honey adds a protective coat which helps keep it from becoming more irritated. The best thing is that because it isn't medicine you can use it as often as needed and if you use a nice herbal flavored tea your kids can enjoy this symptom soother too.





You can also try old fashion gargling. Just mix 2 tablespoons brown sugar with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda too 1quart warm water. Place into a container with a tight fitting lid and shake well before each use. This can also be used as often as needed.





;Now I"ve heard this helps but I haven't tried it yet myself. I think I will ave to on my next cold just to see if it works. Apple Cider Vinegar is suppose to kill bacteria on contact. So mix it with water but make it as strong as you can take. Then gargle one mouthful every hour, swallowing afterward. Repeat twice each time. The acid is suppose to be very helpful in soothing your sore throat and if you swallow it, the extra potassium is also beneficial. Make sure you rinse your mouth out after because the acid will probably be hard on your tooth enamel.

No comments:

Google