Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Green Homes.......A Rant and a New Weekly Series

I'm getting a little sick of all these show where people are building a green home from scratch. Yes I know its better then building a conventional home from scratch but they are still clearing out a bunch of natural habitat to build those homes. Not only are they ripping up more and more of our quickly disappearing wild spaces but it is total unrealistic for the average person.

First off if everyone started from scratch there would be no wild spaces left except that which is protected as a national park. It would also suck up so much natural resources we would be fighting over what's left. Not to mention that most people cant afford to do it. While these shows do bring forth some interesting ideas they are for the most part useless to the normal person striving to be more environmentally friendly.

How about a something to show green renovations. Where you are taking homes that already exist, which means less materials wasted since you are not starting from scratch, and show the things you can do to make it a green home. Show the steps that people can do a little at a time to get started on going green instead of a giant expensive endeavor that only the rich can afford. There are things everyone can do no matter what type of home you have even a trailer home can do things to lower costs and help save their natural environment.

Well that is the rant part now to do something about it. I'm going to start a new weekly series on Fridays called "Green Renovate" It will be the simple things that anyone can do to help make their home more environmentally friendly. So I hope you will join me this Friday for my first post and tell your friends to stop by too.

6 comments:

Sherrie said...

Sounds like a good idea. I'll be sure to drop back by on Friday to see what you come up with. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Sherrie :D I'll be glad to hear your input on Friday :D Thanks for stopping by.

Mom said...

What I love is to see where old mills are being renovated into usable living space.

In Canton, GA there is an apartment complex that used to be a cotton mill. That building stood empty for at least two decades until somebody came in and had the bright idea to turn it into apartments.

It's a very popular location to live, too. The outside and inside became quite stylish.

I bet they could do something like that with all the empty Wal-Mart buildings....

Unknown said...

You'll have to post some pics Mom so I can check it out it sounds cool. Though I don't know about the Wal-Mart building. No windows and bad plumbing in those thing :P

LuAnn @ BackPorchervations said...

Well, when we moved recently, we switched all our lightbulbs to those new scrabbling lights. Additionally, we now live 4 miles from my job - which is a doable distance for either walking or bike-riding - as opposed to 17.1 miles.

Unknown said...

Nice Work Kentucky Gal I'm fixing my bike so I can try riding to work too. I'm a little worried about the traffic though. With this many people living around me we have a proportional number of total A*******s on the road makeing life unsafe for the rest of us.

Google