Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tip 4 On How To Winterize a House

I'm heading out to the Home Depot today to pick up some weather stripping for around the front door. During that little storm we had blow through I could feel the cold pouring under the Front Door. Now since I'm renting I'm very picky on the things I fix up around here. It's not my house and I not going to make improvements that the home owner should be making. That being said weather striping is a fairly cheap way to save me lots of money on heating this winter so I'm going to go ahead and fix it. I'm also going to ask if there is some way to fix the area around one of our light switches, I can feel the cold coming in from out side there too but I have to be careful what I use since I don't want to start a fire. Any way here is the next tip for getting snug for winter:

Check the Exterior, Doors and Windows

1. Inspect exterior for crevice cracks and exposed entry points around pipes; seal them. This will not only keep the cold out it will also keep out any unwanted visitors looking for a warm place to bunk down for the winter.
2. Use weather stripping around
doors to prevent cold air from entering the home and caulk windows.
3. Replace cracked glass in
windows and, if you end up replacing the entire window, prime and paint exposed wood. If this is not in your budget right now try one or all of the following which can also help with single pain windows that don't keep out the cold well:
* window insulation film sticks on with double sided tape and uses a
shrink wrap plastic you heat with a hair dryer
*layers of curtains (make sure they aren't covering the heat vents.
*build a frame that fits on the outside of the window and cover with heavy duty plastic
to keep the cold away from the window.
I remember my dad doing this and it made the house warm and snug all winter and
was easy to remove and replace with screens in the summer.

4. If your home has a basement, consider protecting its window wells by covering them with plastic shields.
5. Cover your Air conditioner. It doesn't matter if its a window or central, covering it will save you money.

No comments:

Google