Monday, September 24, 2012

No More

Today I did something that the kids are going to hate and I will probably Hate at first too.  But I think it will make our lives better in the long run.



I've disconnected the cable.

  Yep its all gone.

After weeks of flipping channels and finding NOTHING worth watching.

I've called the cable company and told them to shut it down.


Dont get me wrong there are a few shows I think are wonderful.  I"m a Hard Core Doctor Who.  I loved BBC America until they started running old American shows.  If I watched them on American channels why would I tune into BBC America to watch them again...I'm just saying...

Anyway ... I'm not a big reality TV fan all they show is greedy self centered people, drunk people acting stupid, or rude arrogant people going out of their way to crush the dreams and hopes of others all in the name of the all mighty ratings.  The tv shows they do bother to create all seem to go out of their way to out vulgar each other or show such horrible acts that it can give a sane person nightmares.  The worst of it all is the commercials.  The TV shows have ratings  (sort of)  but the commercials can be shown anywhere.  Imagine sitting down to a kid friendly show and have a commercial for  House at the End of The Street or Resident Evil pop up.  Been there done that!  Not to mention the ads directed at our Children.  How many times do I have to watch Toucan Sam and his Nephews assault and steal Fruit Loops from others.  What we are trying to teach our kids that if you REALLY REALLY want something GO AHEAD and take it from someone else!

Well you know the saying:  If you Don't like it Don't watch it!

  
SO I'M NOT GOING TO WATCH ANYMORE!



I'm keeping the internet and that's it.  My Bill is going from $179 to $54.  Sorry Doctor your not worth $125 a month and with the money I save I can just buy the series when it comes out on DVD.  Better yet I just watch it on Netflix and keep the house clear of extra clutter.  Humm I should add that into my costs  ... lets see Netflix is 9.99 a month so 63.99 a month ...NOPE still come out ahead without cable.

It's going to be rather interesting to see how things go now that its gone. I may get a set of rabbit ears to get the local channels ... do they still use those?  It would probably be a good idea so I can keep an eye on the local news and weather.  But no more zombie kids and more time to get where I want to be seems like a definite plus.

What do you think?  Have you cut the cord ..so to speak?  Have you considered getting rid of cable?  If you have gotten rid of cable how has it effected your life?

Just wondering...

No comments:

Google