Saturday, January 14, 2012

Walking In a Winter Wonderland

Ok....  without the snow it's not much of a wonderland but with the cold air finally descending on us this is the perfect opportunity to discuss spending time outside in the cold.

As you may know if you've been reading for a while, I walk to work as often as I can.  It's not HAVE to it's WANT to.  I know every step I take gets me one step closer to buy the home with a nice piece of property so I can finally have my chickens.  Heck with the cost of gas right now each step is two steps closer!

But as Mother Nature reminded me yesterday no matter how much time you spend outside this winter be prepared.  Yesterday I wasn't so prepared and froze my tushy off on the walk home.  It was a beautiful morning and I headed out to work with just my light coat on.  Usually I wear a fleece sweater underneath but it was so warm I left it home.  MY mistake was not checking with the nice weather folks because by the time I left work the temperature had dropped low and a wicked wind picked up.  I was cold the moment I walked out the door. 

Lucky for me there are plenty of stores on the way home so I did a little browsing in several stores on the way home to warm up.

My mistake is not an uncommon one.  Many people have gotten stuck with out proper preparation and sometimes fatally so.  It's always best to be prepared for the unexpected in my case layers of clothes to keep the wind out and the heat in, and I could have stuffed a hat and gloves in my pocket just in case.  Which would have save me cold fingers and ears.  So make sure you cover all the winter time bases before you head out the door.  It's better to be prepared for the unexpected and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Trust me today I will have my layers, my hat, gloves, sunglasses (keeps the wind out of my eyes) and maybe even a pair of leggings in my backpack so I can add an extra layer to my legs if its really cold after work.

No comments:

Google