Monday, November 9, 2009

First A Little Confession Then a couple tips

Ok I admit it I've become a Facebook Addict! I love playing the free games! I'm up to 99 friends some are family members but the rest are new friends who love playing free games too. I've been having a great deal of fun. But silly me I have been ignoring my blogs so from now on I'm setting a timer and only playing for an hour. That way I can have time to blog and clean house too LOL.

Now for a couple of money saving environmental tips. Today we should discuss saving water. Everyone needs fresh clean water to stay alive. We literally can't live without it! Yet every day people use unnecessary chemicals which ends up polluting our water. Lets address two main pollutants that people voluntarily use.

The first is chemical fertilizers. The problem with this type of food for your plants and grass is two fold. First it is actually killing your soil! That's right! The more you use it the more you will have to use it because things like worms that live in your soil that naturally fertilize the lawn will die off or move to find food. The second problem is run off. When it rain or you use your sprinklers the chemicals run off into the storm drains and into the water ways. The excess of nutrients in the water can cause an Algae bloom which can kill off other organisms living in the water by denying them access to fresh air and sunlight.

The second is chemicals used in pest control. Now I address this once before when I was discussing the lack of fireflys in the spring and summer. I remember when I was a kid they were everywhere now it seems we are lucky to see one. The problem with using chemicals to control what we consider pests is that chemicals don't specialize. If you spray for mosquitoes you kill off other nighttime insects like fireflys. If you spray to kill insects that are eating your crops you also kill of the insects that are eating the insects you are trying to kill, not to mention the birds spiders, lizards and other insect eaters. Lastly these chemicals run off the fields and into the water, polluting rivers, streams, underground water sheds. There is no way to control where this poison will end up and even though they say its not harmful to humans, I don't see how it cant' be. Because even if it doesn't kill us out right its killing the environment we need to live slowly but surely.

No comments:

Google