Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Welcome From the Crazy Green Cheapskate

Hi I'm The Crazy Green Cheapskate. I have a lot of friends who tell me You have to buy the right stuff to be a true earth friendly person. I don't agree with them. While I think it's important to be choosy about the things we buy. I also believe it is just as important to get as much use as possible out of the things we already have. The earth has limited resources and we need to make the most of these recources. If you want to save money and Help the environment then hopefully this is the place for you.

Just for starters here are a few things you can do to help.

  • Bring your own cloth bags to the supermarket, or reuse the ones that are still in good shape. I have been getting my reusable bags from yard sales slowly gettting enough for my shopping trips.
  • Buy items with minimal packaging. This may entail repacking some of it for later use. For Example I buy large bags of flour then freeze half of it to keep it fresh.
  • Buy items that are made from recycled materials. This is not one of the cheaper ones but definately a good idea. Hopefully businesses will get the idea and will use more recycled material and less virgin materials.
  • Bring your own reusable coffee cup or water bottle to school or clean with environmentally sound products. Check out this website for more informations on bottled water http://refillnotlandfill.org/
  • Limit your use of non-reusable products and wait a week before buying anything you haven't already planned to buy. Impulse buys reek the most havoc with our pocketbooks and they are usually items that we don't really need so into storage or the garbage they go.

No comments:

Google